Presented to Mayor Michael Mullen, Marietta, Ohio, on the steps of the Washington County Courthouse on May 5, 2011, during a National Day of Prayer celebration, signed by several pastors from the area.
Affirmation of Biblical Principles
- Whereas all authority belongs to Jesus Christ by the authority of God and the power of the Holy Spirit (Matthew 28:18, Deuteronomy 1:1-5);
- Whereas the Bible teaches that all government is representative government because all power and authority issue from God (Deuteronomy 1:6-4:49);
- Whereas God’s relationship with His people is an ethical relationship, which means that biblical righteousness provides blessings (Deuteronomy 5-26);
- Whereas because of God’s covenant all people are fallen into the rebellion and sin of Adam and are under God’s judgment apart from Christ’s righteousness (Deuteronomy 27-30);
- Whereas God intends for His covenant with humanity to continue from generation to generation through faithful Christian families and churches (Deuteronomy 31-34);
- Whereas Marietta was founded by the Northwest Ordinance, passed by Congress on July 13, 1787, upon freedom from religious persecution and the necessity of religion, morality and knowledge for good government and happiness;
- Whereas Marietta College was founded as a leading institution in Washington County to promote, instill, and build a biblical worldview in it’s citizens and accordingly Henry Smith, President of Marietta College, in his inaugural address delivered July 30, 1846, observed that religion without intelligence is the power of despotism, not of liberty;
- Whereas Marietta is the seat of Washington County, Ohio;
Therefore we pastors and ministers of the gospel of Jesus Christ gathered together this
Day of National Prayer, Thursday, May 5, 2011
at the Washington County Courthouse in Marietta, Ohio
- do affirm, celebrate and renew the commitment to biblical Christianity that has been poured into the foundation of the Mid-Ohio Valley from its inception.
- We affirm the blessing, strength and necessity to build covenant relationships;
- We affirm that it is our intent and expressed purpose to fulfill the mandate of Scripture to preach the gospel and disciple the nations (Mark 16:16, Matthew 28:19).